Mother House Studios is Artrooms Fairs’ Official Charity Project.
Organised by Procreate Project, a pioneering arts organisation supporting the development of contemporary artists who are also mothers working across art-forms, the Mother House Studios model is a unique solution to a proven lack of viable provision that sufficiently supports the professional development and wellbeing of artists during early motherhood. It offers a collaborative yet intimate space for artists to foster their creative practice whilst nurturing engaged parenting.
To facilitate integration and exchange, the model creates two interconnected spaces: Studio space for professional arts practice in the form of an open art studio with desks – Children area, where a dedicated team facilitates in-house daily activities -a gallery space for exhibitions and public programme open to the community. Pilot schemes have successfully taken place in London and Stroud and we have received 100s of enquiries from people interested in replicating the model elsewhere. We have now found a possible venue in Deptford, to open the first long term Mother House and put in practice the invaluable outcomes of the previous projects.
- Build out the studio space with 18 to 21 desks, the children area and communal spaces
- Public programme of events, activities for families, mentorship and professional development workshops for artists
- Provide affordable childcare, via an innovating model
- Employment and volunteering opportunities
- Strong community outreach, offering workshops and children activities
- Improve mental health and relationships between mothers and children
- Reduce gender inequality within the creative industries
- Show children about women’s roles outside the domestic environment
- Re-invest profits in the project to maximise the social impact
- Create a sustainable and scalable social franchise model
The Mayor of London pledged £22.500 towards the project and referred to it as “One of the 26 most innovative civic initiatives in London in 2018”. As the Mayor said: “The Mother House Studios has the potential to inspire step change in various sectors and the project will have a much bigger impact if spread around the city.”