I am a multi-disciplined artist working in various media including painting, drawing and sculpture. After receiving my National Diploma in Graphic Design I continued developing my visual language in the design and advertising industry before relocating to Italy to further my studies in fine art where I received the equivalent of a degree from Lorenzo de’ Medici Institute in Florence. I am interested in the integration of faith and art and how they inform worldviews and personal belief. I live and work in Port Elizabeth, South Africa.
• 1971 Born in Tzaneen, South Africa.
• 1991 - 1993 Studied graphic design at Durban University of Technology, Durban, South Africa
• 1994 - 2000 International travel, working in various ad agencies in South Africa and abroad.
• 2001 - 2003 Studied fine art at Lorenzo de Medici Institute, Florence, Italy. Scholarship Award.
• 2003 - 2005 Worked as an artist and taught painting, drawing & sculpture in Florence, Italy.
• 2006 - Practicing artist resident in Port Elizabeth, South Africa
I explore light and movement - creating marks in response to the dynamic play of light across things.
The journey is spiritual one - a realm where courage and hope contend against fear and doubt.
Light reveals, it allows us see things. We see in two ways - with our eyes and with the eyes of the heart. I am interested in using the former to explore the latter, giving people a new way of seeing - from the inside out.
Movement requires energy, which is the actual ‘substance’ that makes up the content of my drawings, paintings and sculptures. The expression of an idea becomes both visual and experiential.
Any journey of exploration is an exercise in risk-taking. Exploring the unknown demands vulnerability that in turn requires courage. My work is to risk being vulnerable in order to tell stories through art’s multiple lenses that impart courage and hope.